Background to the WA Massed Choir Festival
The WA Massed Choir Festival was started in 1994 by a group of primary school music teachers who saw a need for a major festival of this type in this state.
The first festival was held at Guildford Grammar School with one concert. From 1995 to 2016 we performed at Winthrop Hall at the University of Western Australia.
Since this beginning, the festival has grown in size and stature and is now run over nine nights at the magnificent Perth Concert Hall.
Each concert comprises a massed choir of 500 voices from public primary schools in the Perth metropolitan area.
The festival culminates with nine public performances and the aim of this annual event is:
- to provide the students and teachers with the opportunity to work with an exceptional choral conductor.
- to provide the students with the rare and exciting experience of performing in a massed choir of 500 voices.
- to nurture and mentor aspiring conductors in our schools.
- to support and promote music written by Australian composers.
- to commission new music works to compliment the curriculum in our schools.